Tuesday 1 July 2014

Vampire craze

I've always had a thing for vampires. For as long as I can remember. Maybe since I was 5-7 years old? Don't know, really. I was always a vampire on Halloween as a child. I loved every version of Dracula that I could come across (except the original, how's that for irony?). I loved the first seasons of Buffy and Angel. I taped the Vampire Night that one of the TV channels showed when I was 13, just so that I could watch Nosferatu and Bela Lugosi's Dracula. I was a huge fan of the movie Interview With the Vampire (I really should read that series). But my craze died down a bit when Twilight became such a huge hit. Because when that happened, if you're a girl and you say you like vampires people automatically assume that you're referring to Twilight.

But now it has flared up again. It started about two years ago when I got my hands on The Vampyre by Tom Holland. Which was amazing. It told the tale of vampire stories by having Lord Byron as a vampire in the book :) The Vampyre caught my attention and I finally read John Polidori's short story from 1819, which is said to have been Bram Stoker's inspiration for Dracula. After that I got the book Vampire Forensics, which tells the real story of vampires and it's place in common folklore and history.

Now I'm writing a story about vampires. I've finished all five seasons of Vampire Diaries, and I just finished playing a point-and-click puzzle adventure game called Dracula: Love Kills, which was a lot of fun.

I was sceptic towards Vampire Diaries. I was a little wary that it would be like True Blood or all the other "sexy vampire in the city" stories that are so popular nowadays. It has that, I won't deny it, but it actually has the darkness too. The thirst for blood, feeding on people for fun... All that stuff that makes a vampire what it is. And that part, the darkness part, makes up for all the sexy vampire shit that's in it. And I love that they make fun of Twilight in it.
"Howcome you don't sparkle?"
"Because I live in the real world where vampires burn in the sun."

I remember when I was 9 years old and read the first Harry Potter book that when Hagrid told Harry that Quirrell never was quite like he used to be after he had a run-in with some vampires, I thought that it was so cool that there were vampires in the story. 

I was also a huge fan of the cartoon Ketchup Vampires. Back when I still liked ketchup I used to pretend that it was a substitute for blood :P

Do I even have to mention that I loved Hotel Transylvania and that one of my Sims is vampire? ;)

I love vampires. But it's supposed to be the darkness and the blood and perhaps trying to be functional in the real world. Not the sex. And for gods' sakes no sparkles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!