Tuesday 4 March 2014

Shock rock

I've talked a little about my love for morbid things before. Like Junko Mizuno, BioShock, horror, Lovecraft, Poe, and Phantom of the Opera amongst others. Truth is it all started back in early 2006, when I was 15. That's when I discovered Lordi. I've gotten a lot of negative comments for liking Lordi as much as I do, and people generally think I'm weird because of it. I'm a little ashamed to say that I discovered Lordi thanks to Eurovision, but let's face it: that was the best year of Eurovision ever! Thanks to Lordi I fell in love with shock rock. I love their modernised 80's hard rock sound. Thanks to Lordi I discovered Alice Cooper, Twisted Sister, Slipknot and Marilyn Manson. Lordi is also, along with Nightwish, the only band I've seen twice at arena gigs, no festivals, just arena concerts. And both of those times were some of the best concerts of my life.

Lordi's songs give me a cosy feeling inside. They make it easy to dream away and they awake my imagination like nothing else does.


Thanks to Lordi I discovered Alice Cooper, whom by now is one of my absolute favourite artists ever. The one time I saw him live was one of the best days of my life and I can't wait to see him live again this summer. His music ranges from weird to awesome. And it spans over 4 decades. 26 albums. Take your pick. I find it hilarious that my favourite artist had his biggest hit before I was even born. And those videos from the 70's are scary just cause I can't wrap my head around Alice in platform boots, tights and winged pants... (Check out The Black Widow or Cold Ethyl to see what I mean)

Last Man on Earth | Ghouls Gone Wild | What Baby Wants

I also discovered Twisted Sister, and I was overjoyed when I found that they had done a co-op with Cooper back in the 80's. I'm kind of tired of the songs by them that everyone knows, although I do love them too. Still I can't wait to see them live for the first time this summer!


Then there are of course the little more modern ones: Slipknot (Before I Forget) and Marilyn Manson (Tainted Love), Mudvayne (Happy?) and Rob Zombie (Dragula). I really like both of them, but not as much as Cooper and Lordi. Not even close, though Slipknot was amazing live. When I discovered Lordi I made lots of attempts to listen to "similar" artists such as Gwar. But I never really got to like them. In some ways certain Meat Loaf videos I love qualify for this as well. Like I'd Do Anything For Love. And W.A.S.P. (I Wanna Be Somebody) definately qualifies. I also like Kiss (I Was Made For Loving You), but I knew about them way before I discovered Lordi and they're alright.

I'm a shock rock person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the first thought in your head after reading this? Let me know!